15 February 2010

I'll be that fool for you

I remember watching this in 2002 and just being heartsick that Sale and Pelletier lost the gold. The universe righted itself (Sale and Pelletier were eventually granted the co-gold after the judging scandal surfaced), but at the expense of the sport...with this new point system, the artistry seems to have faded and beauty has segued into one big checklist.
Is there anything in our world that is simply beautiful and free of automation?
It seems like we've devolved, and art has suffered...
Can it be that it was all so simple then?
Or has time re-written every line?
If we had the chance to do it all again
Tell me, would we? Could we?

2 comments:

tess said...

that was the last year of truly beautiful awe inspiring figure skating

although I always enjoy watching skating, I do find it more tedious and boring than it used to be because they all are required to do the same moves. you just sit and watch and wait for one stupid required element after another. definitely tiring and boring

Bri said...

yes agreed with tess, the 2002 olympics were amazing compared to more recent events. I lived in utah at the time and remember seeing some of the events. they were the definition of awesome. stop by my blog sometime if you get a chance. <3 http://www.retrostruggle.com