19 March 2010

the state of the world

If I'm Anne Shirley, then I have met my Pringles.
I could go on and on. In the words of Anne Shirley, "Cantankerous, prejudiced old creatures! How can anyone possibly succeed against such tactics?"
Books are lovely and meaningful. If only people wouldn't take their ignorance and blacken books. And blacken the hearts of the teachers who only try to make this new generation more altruistic, more worldly, more sensitive, less egocentric, than the generations that have preceded them.

1 comment:

tess said...

I am so sorry to hear this. First off, from your thoughtful well written posts it is clear that you're a both a wonderful teacher and individual. there is no way you could leave a classroom full of kids uninspired. And even though many parents and students have validated your amazing teaching skills, I agree, sometimes that one insult can ruin it all. However, I am glad to see that you're not allowing this family to cause you to doubt yourself, instead you're recognizing a sadder truth, that there is actually nothing you can do for this family and therefore this child. I've never taught, but I can only imagine that not being able to get through to a student is one of the most difficult and disheartening parts of your profession. I went to a very uppity prep school and year after year one family kept trying to get teachers fired. I swear each year this family caused one teacher to lose their job no matter what. although these fired teachers often had many complaints against them, I often wonder the secret burden this stuck up family carried, knowing they killed a financial resource and identity for each teacher they unseated. it is those families that have to bear the bigger burden than you. still I am sorry you had to experience this first hand