21 June 2008

I can't help falling in love

Saved! is one of my favorite movies. Even though I once had to deal with a very gropey date while watching it-- you'd think the movie would discourage that sort of behavior, right??
Well, in one of the few movie-to-Broadway decisions that I applaud, Playwright's Horizons is producing SAVED as an off-Broadway production. This was on my list of things to see before I left New York, but it slipped my mind in the chaos of packing and now it closes tomorrow! Good news in that it will be on Broadway, at some point...but I have no idea when. I'm loving this sneak peek at the show by Andrew Keenan-Bolger, whose sister, Celia Keenan-Bolger, stars as Mary (played by Jena Malone in the film). If you are not familiar with Celia's work, you should be. She was remarkable in The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, and I recently discovered footage of her in a concert version of The Secret Garden that puts any other portrayal of Martha to shame.
I try not to let the musical theatre dork side of me come out too often here, but I can't help myself today, and were I still in New York, I'd hope that Andrew Keenan-Bolger and I could be friends! (not really...but he seems delightful)

1 comment:

Maggie said...

Hi there,
I stumbled across your blog online and thought you might want to know/post about this upcoming event:

Come support 4th Meal Productions, an up-and-coming theater company!!!

The Keenan-Bolger siblings — Andrew, Celia and Maggie — will play the Ars Nova July 28.

During the 8 PM evening, the Keenan-Bolgers, according to press notes, will "reunite on the same stage for the first time in 15 years, to fondly celebrate a time when gas cost 99 cents and Tony Kushner was changing the face of American Theater. Ah, the good old days. Join these hilarious and incredibly talented siblings for an evening of stories and songs that will help us all relive the year 1993! Three siblings in the same whacky business. Hippie work camps and Joni Mitchell. Labor Day Parades and a song from The Music Man. This show has it all!"

Celia Keenan-Bolger has been seen on Broadway in The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee (Tony nomination) and the revival of Les Misérables. Andrew Keenan-Bolger's Broadway credits include Beauty and the Beast and Seussical.

Ars Nova is located in Manhattan at 511 West 54th Street. Tickets, priced $15, can be purchased by calling (212) 868-4444 or by visiting www.smarttix.com.

You can also see a post about it in Playbill:
http://www.playbill.com/news/article/119363.html

Check in with Andrew's blog for a preview coming soon!