22 July 2008

Adjustment

I've forgotten how to adjust to new surroundings.  Which is problematic, since my new situation definitely calls for adjustment.  I don't think that a single thing is similar to my life in New York.  Gone is my tiny apartment in my quaint building-- hello, high rise.  Gone are my street smarts.  In New York I felt comfortable walking anywhere at any hour.  Now in DC, all of these zones are restricted-- don't go here, don't go there, which results in going to the same 5 places all of the time.  That may be okay for college, but I didn't act like I was in college even when I was in college!  Gone are the hipsters, artists, small dogs, and individuals.  Hello, preppy.  Hello politics.  I'm so overwhelmed by all of these new streets, with their NW, SW, etc, and these diagonal streets.  I know that DC isn't all about confusing streets, preppy people, country club families, and the same cheesy fratty bars.  There has to be some sort of arts scene-- thrift shops, creperies, indie bands, craft fairs, old movies, galleries.  Restaurants that only sell one type of food.  Chocolate shops that double as sunglasses stores.  Foreign and specialty food stores.  I know I've been here for such a short time, but I just feel like there are pieces of me that just can't find corresponding locations in this city.  Or kindred spirits.
Readers, any suggestions for DC area places I might like?  Places of art, soul, and beauty?  Or ways to adjust to a new city?  I'm floundering a bit here!  It's normal to be a bit flummoxed when moving to a new city, but I'd prefer to not have to deal with all of the ups and downs of moving-- my entire two years in New York were enough drama to last a lifetime!

1 comment:

Therapeutic Ramblings said...

You'd think I'd know some places after being a DC regular for a few years, but alas.....I suck at restaurant names! I vaguely remember a great sushi place around Dupont Circle, but go knows if it is still there (5-6 years ago).